Volunteers are a crucial part of every program at the Chittenden Emergency Food Shelf. The dedicated hearts and hands of the community help us complete the countless tasks that go into providing food for more than 11,000 people every year. As a Food Shelf volunteer, you’ll experience endless opportunities to learn, grow, and play a rewarding role in addressing hunger in your neighborhood.
Here are some of the things you could do as a Food Shelf volunteer:
- Unload food donations as they’re delivered
- Stock the grocery distribution shelves
- Represent the Food Shelf at special events
- Prep and serve food in the soup kitchen
- Help clients select their groceries
- Deliver groceries to homebound clients
- Pick up donations
- And so much more!
How to become a Food Shelf Volunteer
- Look through the volunteer application packet (Volunteer Application) thoroughly and decide whether or not the Food Shelf is a good match for you
- Tell us about yourself by filling out the application and bringing it down to the Food Shelf located on 228 North Winooski Ave, Burlington.
- Schedule a volunteer orientation with the Volunteer Coordinator by calling (802) 658 – 7939 ext. 24 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. This orientation allows us to get to know you better, answer any questions you may have, give you a tour, and schedule your first volunteer shift.
- Come in for your first volunteer shift at the Food Shelf & take action against food insecurity in your community!
**If you have court-ordered community service, please fill out the attached form in addition to your volunteer application. (Court Ordered Community Service Sheet)**
Questions? Please call us at (802) 658-7939 ext. 24 or email email@example.com for more information.
**Policy Update: CEFS does not accept volunteers under the age of 18. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding of this policy.
Please contact the United Way at (802) 860-1677 for information on volunteering for minors.