HUNGER IN VERMONT
Food Insecurity (2005-2007, 3 year average from US Census)
Food insecurity is defined as the lack of access to enough food to fully meet basic needs at all times due to lack of financial resources. Adults in households determined to be food insecure are so limited in resources that they are running out of food, reducing the quality of food their family eats, feeding their children unbalanced diets, or skipping meals so their children can eat.
• 10.2% of all households food insecure*
• 20,400 children, under 18, live in food insecure households (15.8%) **
• 68,700 Vermonters of all ages live in food insecure households (11%)**
• 37% of Vermonters could not afford either enough food or enough nutritious food†
Food Insecurity with Hunger (2005-2007, 3 year average from US Census)*
Households that are classified as food insecure with hunger are those in which adults have decreased the quality and quantity of food they consume because of lack of money to the point where they are quite likely to be hungry on a frequent basis, or in which children’s intake has been reduced due to lack of family financial resources, to the point that children are likely to be hungry on a regular basis and adults’ food intake is severely reduced.
• 4.6% of all households food insecure with hunger*
• 4.7% of Vermonters sometimes or often could not afford enough to eat†
• 12,290 Vermont children depend on food shelves each month‡
* “Household Food Security in the United States, 2007,” www.ers.usda.gov. The food insecure households with hunger are a subset of the total food insecure households.
**Data on Vermont children living in food insecure homes from 2005-2007 Current Population Surveys of the US Census, through DataFerrett.
† Data from 2007 Vermonter Poll
‡Emergency food data from “Report on the 2008 Survey of Vermont Food Shelves and Community Kitchens,” Planning, Policy and Regulation Unit, Economic Services Division, VT Dept for Children and Families, April 2008
Thanks to the Vermont Campaign to End Childhood Hunger for providing this information.